Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What’s your Legacy? by Jackie Strait, MSW, LCSW, DSW Candidate 2013

What’s your Legacy?
The second year of the DSW program offers students the opportunity each month to learn from some of the foremost scholars and practitioners in the field of clinical social work and related disciplines. Most recently, the DSW Class of 2013 was fortunate to study with Sandy Bloom, a leading thinker in the field of organizational trauma (and a native of Philadelphia!). She began her talk with the routine introductions, asking us to share about our practice specialty and comment on what we hoped to learn during our weekend together. She then asked a question that has since caused a profound shift in my experience of myself as both a student and a clinical social worker. She asked us to consider our legacy. What do we hope to contribute to the field? What legacy do we want to leave? Although I am more than twelve months into my formal education in the DSW program, I hadn’t yet considered this question. I could readily share what I hoped to get out of the program, what I hoped to study, and what I hoped to learn, but this question about what I hoped to offer to generations of social workers to come caught me by surprise. And yet, this is precisely the shift that the DSW program encourages and indeed inspires students to make.
This shift is one from consumption to production, from that of getting to that of giving. We are no longer asked what we hope to learn, but instead what we hope to teach and how we hope to inspire. We are no longer simply consumers of knowledge, but instead encouraged to contribute to the development of both theory and practice. We are prompted by leaders in the field to consider not just what we hope to do in the field, but instead what legacy we’d like to leave. I looked around the room and realized that the seeds of these legacies were being planted right before my eyes: Destigmatizing mental illness. Developing more culturally competent social work practice models. Creating and implementing a trauma-informed curriculum for schools of social work. Expanding the current knowledge base of the difficulties faced by adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Reducing recidivism rates for formerly-incarcerated individuals. Healing the psychological, emotional and societal wounds of sexual trauma.
What’s your legacy? It is a simple question, and yet it holds profound meaning and far-reaching implications. These three small words imply both hope and expectation, and thus inspire the shift from student to scholar.
By Jackie Strait, MSW, LCSW, DSW Candidate 2013

3 comments:

  1. I graduated with my MSW in 99. Yikes! What I thought would be my legacy back then has shifted over the years. I practice as a child and adolescent psychotherapist with a speciality in learning differences and parenting in Los Angeles. I also have a parenting advice blog, Practical Parenting (www.practicalkatie.com), where I share simple parenting solutions for common parenting challenges. But my legacy? I'm working on a new site and book proposal that targets the emotional wreckage couples endure while coping with infertility. I write about it fairly regularly online, but it remains an area where women and men feel isolated and overwhelmed. I know first hand due to my own experiences, and from various friends who have also struggled. I hope to get my story out there and open the doors so that people can discuss it more openly AND find therapists/support networks better trained in helping people with infertility. Great post, got me thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this particular post. It inspires introspection while promoting a great program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something that helped me. Thanks!
    my web site - lcsw exam massachusetts

    ReplyDelete